There is alot to discover in a Ney York Times article about an island where children who have refused to attend school have been going.
“Japanese schools do not take punitive actions against parents of elementary and junior high school children who fail to attend classes; in fact, as long as they are enrolled, as required by law, they graduate. A result is that in 2002 more than 131,000 children nationwide, including nearly 3 percent of the junior high school population, did not go to school.”
First, I did not know that schools avoid going after parents, nor did I know that 3 percent of the jr high poplulation refuses to attend school.
I’ve written about this before because I work with a group of children who are refusing to go to school. They are interested in English so they come along on Wednesdays and we do stuff together. They are fun, maybe a little fragile, but they are kids.
I’d like to know that, with the social pressure to conform, if 3% of the kids outright refuse to attend schools, what is happening with the other 97%. Who is satisfied and flourishing in the environment?